29 October, 2012

The Good Wife: "Waiting for the Knock" aka The Case of the Illegitimate Juice Bar

"Waiting for the Knock"
Season 4, Episode 5 | Original air date: October 28, 2012
______________________________________________________________

Lemond Bishop: He’s suave, he’s sophisticated and he’s smart.  Did I mention handsome?  Well, he’s that, too.  Best of all, he’s a father who loves his son to limitless bounds – an admirable quality that would surely challenge the top spot for Chicago’s Most Eligible Bachelor list.  Of course, the reason he’s eligible is because he had his wife offed.  Oh, and he’s a drug king pin.


Fortunately for me, I can’t get enough of Lemond Bishop and his shading dealings.  That could be one of the reasons I loved this week’s episode.   The Good Wife’s now classic roaster of criminals I adore is ever-growing (and can I just say I would pay a lot of money to see Sweeney and Bishop share a jail cell?  A lot.  Like illegitimate juice bar a lot). 

“Waiting for the Knock” was one of the better character development episodes of the season so far – in my opinion – so this week my commentary will look at things from an individual perspective.  Get ready for ‘Cary Agos, Big Brother’ and ‘Will you want me to do what? Gardner.’  As always, I invite you to take to the comments section at the end and let me know your thoughts on this week’s episode!

Eli Gold – The Man Who Wants the Shirt off your Back. Literally.

Picking up right where we left off, Eli was, once again, fully ensconced in a case of reputation management.  It’s probably a good thing he didn't know Alicia was off sharing tea with a drug lord, otherwise he probably would have had a complete meltdown.  But I digress.  With Maddie hovering at the party, Jimmy V lurking behind his computer and Peter shaking hands and holding babies, Eli was bound to get caught up in more than he could handle.  We've seen Eli scramble before, but it’s a place he doesn't like to be and a place he doesn't handle particularly well.  


What I find to be interesting about Eli this season is how he is using his Lockhart Gardner connections to further Peter’s campaign.  Alicia is just an aside in this whole thing.  He is building a network of unexpected Florrick campaign allies – Kalinda investigating off the side, Will getting pulled into the crux of problem-solving – it’s something unexpected that could have some very interesting repercussions down the road.  Eli is already close to unearthing the Kalinda/Peter fiasco and the more he pulls in people close to Alicia, the more he’s building an ‘I owe you’ network.  Peter can already see this going badly – you can tell simply by his reactions every time Eli shares something good that has happened because all the things that are going right are coming from Alicia’s little corner of the world.

The fact is, Eli is paid to mitigate risk and keep up an appearance of cool, but sometimes the campaign trail isn't so kind.  Sometimes you need to take extreme measures.


 Will you want me to do what? Gardner

Having nowhere left to turn in the case of ‘Jimmy V and the blog post’ Eli called Will.  Will?  Wait.  Did that just happen?  Whipping out my ‘things I didn't see coming list,’ I put this at the very top.  Ever the professional, Will did what he could for a client (while, wearing another great semi-casual Saturday outfit *sigh*) – it’s not personal, it’s business – but unfortunately this business just got very personal.  Even though we only had the chance to look at Will’s face for a minute, his expression told a story of epic proportions.  It went something like this:
Out of everyone you know, everywhere in the world, why did you call me?  ME.  Seriously Eli, weren't you there when we all got out of the elevator in The Dream Team?  It was awkward.  And not just because Patti Nyholm's baby was running around.  I know you remember this - you pretended like it was a surprise party for Kalinda, who, by the way, also thought it was awkward.  You know Peter and I don’t really get along and that Alicia and I have shared a little love in the afternoon.  Okay, you don’t know specifics, but you intercepted my ‘I love you message’ so you know I’m not the first, second, or 45th person you should be calling.  Glen Childs would have been a better choice – and that’s saying something.  Sure, I know I’m good at intimidating the media – I've done it before (and I think I've even had a few dates come out of it), but it’s not something I want to do to help Peter.  Also, did I mention I’m still in love with Alicia?  Right, so there’s that, too. 

Kalinda Sharma and the 100 Meter Dash

For the second week in a row Kalinda’s head has been back in the Lockhart Gardner game and in “Waiting for the Knock” she was even able to juggle Nick’s creepy shenanigans while finding a rotting body in a trunk (the latter she did while chasing a motorcycle in her 5 inch heels – not an easy feat, ladies and gentleman, not an easy feat).

While K’s ability to sniff out a corpse is second to none, what I was most impressed with this week came during her interactions with Nick.  First, her ability to keep her professional cool during the meeting about his skeezy tow truck business and second, her candor and strength when telling him she’s a different person than he once knew.  I mean, sure.  She went from Laila to Kalinda; from being married to a man to being flexible with everyone and from making omelettes to shooting tequila.  My words to Nick: You've got to get out of dodge - she’s not the same.  Also, you’re not the first person who has loved her only to have their heart broken.  Take a number.


Perhaps the most interesting development in Kalinda’s story line came as a result of Nick (hallelujah, he’s doing more than pulling knives and inappropriately licking ice cream) and the fact he ransacked Lana’s apartment, only to find a shrine dedicated to Kalinda.  Me + notebook = I didn't see that coming, take II.  The one photo Nick was able to snatch from the apartment was of Kalinda and Eli talking – someone was clearly lurking in the bushes, watching K’s every move.  I’ll confess to being intrigued about where this is going. Is Lana keeping these pictures because of personal or professional reasons?  She’s always really liked Kalinda, so are the images the product of an obsessive love, or are they because of Lockhart Gardner’s close ties to Lemond Bishop? 

Now the tables are turning on Kalinda.  Where she was the one using people, it appears that now people are turning around and using her.  At least she has Alicia, who is saying caring things like, ‘stay safe,’ which, while making Nick lose his mind because he thinks K is in love with Alicia (a likely observation – I mean Alicia is the only person to ever have made Kalinda cry), is also a great development of the new K & A relationship.  There’s no room for Nick in Kalinda’s life anymore.  She has Alicia.


Alicia Florrick, Belle of the Ball

When last we saw Alicia she was taking time away from sharing her office space with Cary to visiting the straw poll to show her support of Peter.  Making the rounds, we had the chance to relive Alicia’s encounter with Jackie and her roach-infested wine, only to be followed up with Jackie calling Alicia ‘the belle of the ball.’  While viewers might agree with that statement, Jackie has never been so kind.  Even Maddie, who doesn't know Jackie, thought the statement to be boldly sweet.

Before having the chance to see Jimmy V’s blog go live, Alicia was whisked off to Lemond Bishop’s Chicago mansion (which, I might add, I want to model my dream home after.  This man knows how to decorate.  Or, he knows who to pay.  Either way, I loved it).  We haven’t seen Alicia be able to use her caring, nurturing side in a case much lately, but it’s always interesting when we get to see that side of her.  She is a smart, hard-hitting lawyer, but unlike many of the other associates we encounter on the show, Alicia has a distinct sense of empathy that makes the audience relate to her.  Diane can be caring, and we've see this, but Alicia has a calming warmth and the ability to put people at ease, even during the most challenging of times.  Watching her interact with Bishop’s son, Dylan, reminded me why Alicia Florrick is one of my favourite characters on television, and why Julianna Margulies is one of the best actors around.


Cary Agos, Big Brother

With all hands on deck for Lemond Bishop’s case, Cary was pulled in with everyone else to get to the bottom of the FBI’s new-found interest in this drug king pin.  Legitimate business, illegitimate business,  tomato, tomatoe.  The one thing Cary has always been good at is working as a part of a team and this week that was taken to a whole new height when he got himself arrested just to get the FBI’s search warrant.  Oh Cary – I’m so glad to see you back in action.  I just wish we would have seen who had the opportunity to bail you out.

Meanwhile, Cary was wrapped up with all kinds of things this week when he wasn't in handcuffs.  Making the highlight reel:

  1. Cary watching Kalinda and Nick interact in the elevator bank at Lockhart Gardner – he knew something was up – investigators and clients don’t usually shove and talk so close they are near kissing… but then again, it is Kalinda, so like many things involving her, Cary was willing to let it slide.
  2. Cary pulling Clarke Hayden into the Bishop investigation.  As it turns out, Hayden really enjoys using his accounting skills to crack a case.  This week, that came in the form of footnotes in some unbalanced books from a juice bar in a gym.  It was like all-too-twisted Nancy Drew mystery, but Hayden loved it.  He was almost happy.  In fact, when he sat down with Cary to talk about his involvement in the case, he was downright gleeful.  For whatever reason, Hayden has taken to Cary like a moth to a flame.  It’s strange though – where one would think Hayden would be acting as a mentor to Cary, it’s actually the other way around.  Cary is the one playing the role of big brother.  Cary is inspiring Hayden to be actively involved and not just provide commentary from the sidelines; Cary is the one giving him career tips and encouraging Hayden to be more at the firm. 


What’s next?

First, a preview: "The Art of War"


Maddie Hayward has pulled her support from Peter’s campaign.  It was a good two episodes while it lasted.  I’m sure her contributions paid for the shirt Eli wrote Jimmy V’s number on and maybe Jackie’s bug-infused Malbec.  While she wants to continue being Alicia’s friend, I’m beginning to sense a new plan afoot.  With no other female candidates in the running, and Peter being dragged back into the media under the veil of another sexual indiscretion, I can’t help but think Maddie might just throw her hat in the ring.  I’m not entirely sure where that’s going to put her relationship with Alicia, but my money is on ‘strained.’ 

Also up next week: Judge Abernathy and Judge Kuhn are back in Josh Charles’ directorial debut.   Color me excited!  Judge Kuhn has previously loathed Will and Judge Abernathy has kept the bar raised when it comes to quirkiness.  The two of them together is sure to be an outrageous adventure.  Is it Sunday yet?

Related to this Post:
  • Lemond Bishop gets carted off to prison while Josh Ritter plays in the background…


7 comments:

  1. As I know you share my love for Will, I was really (more than usual) looking forward to your recap, becuase I knew (was hoping) you would comment on Will's (too) short scene. Thanks for doing it.
    I liked your other character developments, too. I, too, like Lemond Bishop and was sad when he got arrested, mostly because it means he won't be coming back for a while (maybe they will show Lockhart Gardner defending him? is that too much to ask?). I was less irritated by Kalinda's husband story line, because 1)maybe it's going somewhere, with that Lana twist and 2)she was back being her badass self (sniffing dead bodies? running after a motorcicle in heels? oh yeah!)
    Congratulations on the wonderful blog and please keep doing the recaps, I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your loyal readership, Jule!

    Will's scene, while short, was very important, don't you think? Eli recruiting Will to camp Florrick was a fascinating turn of events and something Peter certainly wasn't very happy about. Peter doesn't want to owe anything to Will, but in Chicago, I have a feeling the 'you scratch my back, I scratch yours' mentality is hard at work. What will Peter end up doing for Will down the road? I don't know, but I can't wait!

    There was a great article released on Sunday (check out my news page!) where Mike Colter (Lemond Bishop) talks about his character. Word on the street is he'll be back around episode 14. If anyone can get him out of jail, it's the crackerjack team at Lockhart Gardner.

    As for Kalinda, it was so nice to see her back in action and with a much less frustrating husband storyline. Nick was downright reasonable this week... and actually served a purpose. I'm officially intrigued about Lana's photo collection and I'm not sure we would have ever found out about it if it hadn't been for his scummy behaviour. I'm willing to offer the Kings redemption points for Nick this week ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree and hope they don't forget this little favor. Even more if we think about what Peter did to Will last season with the Grand Jury and all.
      Thanks for the tip about the interview. It makes me happy to know he's coming back and look forward to it.

      Delete
  3. Another fine TGW recap!

    I'm with you Lemond Bishop is one fine Brotha! :) Almost makes me forget too, why he raising his son alone! He is a really good father in spite of his drug-lording ways.

    Where do I start with this episode, let's start with the leisurely attired, handsome Will Gardner wondering around the office on a Saturday. I'm with you on this one WHY would you ask Will to call and make a intimidation threat to a blogger for PETER FLORRICK, WTH is Eli's thinking! Asking our sweet Will to help out suspected cheating (AGAIN) Peter knowing how he feels about Mrs Florrick...uuuuuhh what! Will's face was like I can't believe this shyt is happening to me! :)

    Kalinda treated Lana pretty bad, I don't think she is obsess with her one bit, if anybody been stalking her it been that sleazy husband of hers! And she believed him about Lana and the pics!

    Maddie's not a friend anymore, I guess we all saw that coming. She was trying to get dirt or create dirt to smear the honorable Mr Florrick...don't take much! :)

    Mr Hayden and Cary, Nathan Lane is the best part of the show to me. He seemed to really like being a part of the L/G team and boy did they need his help with "finding the errors int the footnotes". When he got through grilling that guy at the bakery, I found be a new fav in him.

    So glad they are wrapping the Kalinda/Nick story early, can not be fast enough for me.

    Diane don't take NO MESS, when you try talking bout her law firm! :)

    Alicia taking care of Dylan was sweet, her motherly instinct fully on display.

    Pam in Dallas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I just say I love your blog and your reviews are by far better than anyone elses. You always see things I miss and makes me re watch the episode to see what you saw!

    Sarah, Cork, Ireland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much for your kind words and your readership, Sarah - both are truly appreciated. I'm thrilled to hear I can bring a different perspective to The Good Wife and that my frame-by-frame viewing can turn into meaningful dialogue.

      Delete
    2. It is very insightful. Firstly the website looks amazing, I was very surprised to find that it was a fan doing it for just your own benefit. And I love the frame by frame viewing. I've read most your reviews and there is always something you've caught that I have missed.

      Also I should add, as a solicitor myself (in Ireland it's a solicitor rather than a lawyer as we have the dual system of solicitor/barrister rather than just a lawyer), I'm astounded that when you even do the frame by frame of the case of the week when it's a good one, how spot on you are with the legal side of things.

      Sorry to have sounded like such a fan girl, continue!

      Sarah

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...